Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I'm Engaged (Exclamation Point)

Let me first begin by saying, that I have a great family, and great friends.  The group of kids I went to school with is diverse, complex, exciting and impressive.  Many of them had significant others during school or have since found them.  I have the pleasure of saying I have lots of best friends.  I can also say that if you asked any friend of mine, from school, from camp, from growing up, or even my family-- NONE of them would say I am a romantic, or that I would be the first one to get engaged.  After all, I have the pleasure of being the youngest of my friends, and a good six months younger than all of my fellow 2012 graduates.  And yet, here I am;  fortunate enough to say that a mere seven months after I finished school, and a mere four months after I moved back to California, I met the one. All joking aside, I am head over heels.  And I have never been a girl who lives for romance, or dates, or even hugging.  I'm a little twisted, a lot sarcastic and pretty suspicious of living out any kind of Hallmark card. As a result, my point of view on wedded bliss may be a little twisted too.  But here goes.  While many people might proceed by telling you all about the moment their guy got on one knee and asked to spend forever together, I'm going to skip that part (it was awesome by the way, and yeah, I cried) and go on to the part that no one talks about, and, as the first of my crew to get engaged, no one that I knew could warn me about.  I'm going to go ahead and call it the aftershock.  As soon as fiance Fox and I returned home, congratulations started pouring in from just about everyone.  Thanks technology.  I shouldn't have been surprised.  After all, we had both told parents and close friends the day of our engagement so it made sense that people would find out.  But I am talking EVERY ONE.  People I have occasionally worked with in the horse world and hadn't spoken to in nearly a decade were calling to wish us well.  As a notoriously private person, this took some getting used to.  But the truth of it is, the attention is all positive, and I am delighted by all the free champagne.  The part I could never have predicted and am having a harder time swallowing, is the follow up.  I love lists, and I love to plan, but neither fiance Fox nor I have a great idea where we want to get married, or even when, just that we do.

Before people can even finish their hugs, they want to know when, and where, and how many people, and what does my dress look like, and, and, and, and... As the girl who had never fantasized about her big day, I don't have much. Late fall (question mark). Outside (question mark). And that's about as far as I get.  Fiance Fox and I have decided to wait until a few other big life questions sort themselves out before planning our wedding, and we are both happy with that.  We are fortunate that our close friends, and our family (my Mom especially) have been incredibly supportive of that plan.  Nonetheless, it can be a little overwhelming to face a barrage of questions that I don't yet have the answer to.  If I really dig deep, I admit that it makes me feel like a bad bride-to-be not to immediately jump into the planning process, but as I get to be more of a grownup (kind of) I want to be able to follow my gut.  Anyone else feel swept up in an engagement whirlwind?  Anyone else feel like there are crazy pressures?  How do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment